They say that first impressions are lasting impressions. The drive (or walk) up to the hotel or into the main entrance gives an expectation of what guests can anticipate to experience when exploring the hotel further after checking in.
Here are some of our favourite ‘first impressions’ at luxury hotels on the Spanish Balearic Island of Mallorca. We’ve provided just a brief overview of the hotel, and also selected just 3 unexpected highlights you can experience at each of the 5-star hotels during your stay.
Gran Hotel Son Net (31 rooms and suites)
Located just outside the island’s capital, Palma, is the 5-star Son Net. The small village of Puigpunyent is home to this boutique hotel’s rural setting within the Serra de Tramuntana mountain range.
The estate dates back to the 17th century and the historic mansion was converted into a hotel at the end the 20th century. The building retains elements of period furnishings. During the renovation and conversion, the architectural features of the mansion were preserved whilst successfully introducing the modern comforts expected by guests.
- Extensive private art collection
- Gourmet restaurant in its ancient olive mill
- Pool cabanas for maximum privacy
Summum Prime Boutique Hotel (18 rooms and suites)
This 5-star city break hotel is in the heart of the island’s capital – Palma. In the old part of Palma, guests will be just a few minutes’ walk from the main points of interest.
The hotel is a reconstructed 15th century palace, and was extensively renovated at the end of 2017. Guests can expect traditional elements throughout the hotel as well as the latest technology.
- Parietti Suite with 19th century ceiling fresco painted by Mallorcan artist Francesc Parietti
- Rooftop swimming pool
- Library with 19th century coffered ceiling
CAN AULI LUXURY RETREAT (21 rooms and suites)
Located in the popular town on Pollensa (also seen as Pollença), this adults only luxury hotel can be found between the Mediterranean Sea and the Serra de Tramuntana mountains.
Like the previously mentioned hotels, Can Auli is also housed in an old mansion – 17th century. Here you will find ancient stone arches sitting alongside modern natural materials.
- Daily fresh produce from organic farm 1km from hotel
- Wine list comprises those produced by small wineries in the region
- Ecological bathroom toiletries including bamboo travel kit
Sheraton Mallorca Arabella Golf Hotel (93 rooms and suites)
Located just to the northwest of Palma in the area known as Son Vida, this 5-star hotel is just a 5 minute drive from the capital. As its name suggests, this is an ideal spot for golf enthusiasts, with free shuttle service to all 4 Arabella golf courses. The hotel is also suitable for families. An activity program is in place to keep the little ones busy.
- Son Vida Golf Course and Executive Course of Son Quint surround the hotel
- Tapas night special menu with live music every Tuesday on restaurant terrace overlooking the golf course
- Cycling routes for many abilities starting from the Hotel (bikes can be rented here)
Castell Son Claret (41 rooms and suites)
The estate dates back to 1450 and the former 19th century castle refurbished into a luxury hotel in 2013. There’s 326 acres of countryside surrounding the hotel, located at the foot of the Serra de Tramuntana mountains. All the rooms are surrounded by gardens and are contemporary in design. Many feature terrace, their own garden, or even an private pool.
- One of the Leading Hotels of the World
- Blend their own spices to compliment the dishes served to guests
- Opera events held at the hotel
Son Julia Country House Hotel (32 rooms and suites)
Located southeast of Palma in the village of Llucmajor, the Son Julia is just 20 minutes’ drive from the city and the airport. Relax in the peaceful gardens with vineyards and olive trees, and with 2 outdoor pools you will find a quiet spot for some ‘me time’.
The hotel was a former 15th century manor house and retains much of its charm, along with modern conveniences and contemporary styling throughout.
- Agapanto Pool located in idle of maze of trimmed hedges with private cabanas
- Vaulted stone ceilings in many rooms
- Spa treatments and indoor spa pool
Cap Vermell Grand Hotel (142 rooms and suites)
Located on the east coast of the island of Mallorca is the luxury Cap Vermell. A tranquil valley with picturesque surroundings awaits as you step through the stone pillared entrance into the cool lobby area.
All the rooms will have a furnished terrace and the neutral colour pallet and natural materials will add to the sense of serenity during your stay.
- Michelin Star restaurant VORO
- Cap Vermell Country Club for Sport and Fitness
- Luxury Villas available
Zoetry Mallorca (90 rooms)
Located in the village of Llucmajor, and built in and around a 14th century manor house in the Sa Torre estate, is the 5-star Zoetry Mallorca. The hotel’s rooms are divided into 2 separate buildings dotted around the gardens.
Within the grounds you will also find a 15th century windmill, a chapel and a library houses in the old cellar. A wonderful place to stay for golf enthusiasts as it is adjacent to 2 golf courses.
- Spectacular cycling routes and outdoor jogging circuit
- 24/7 room service
- Chef’s culinary table available on request with taster menus and wine pairing
Cap Rocat (24 rooms and suites)
Located in Cala Blava, about 10km along the coast from the capital – Palma – is the luxury Cap Rocat Hotel. First impressions will certainly be lasting as you approach this converted fortress. Originally built for the surveillance and defence of the Bay of Palma, the building was sympathetically renovated and is now home to this stunning hotel.
Particular attention was paid to the unique architecture and the rooms have features such as thick stone walls and vaulted ceilings.
- Special Protection Area for Birds
- Listed as a National Monument and a Heritage Asset
- Some rooms with private pools
Gloria de Sant Jaume (14 rooms and suites)
Located in the heart of the city of Palma in a quiet cobbled street, and in a grand manor house, is the luxury Gloria de Sant Jaume Hotel. Restored with contemporary interiors, guests are assured of a warm welcome into one of just 14 rooms.
The site of the hotel dates back to the 16th century, and part of the building became a manor house towards the end of the 19th century.
- Rooftop plunge pool with views of Palma
- Tea Room with sandstone vaulted ceiling, walls and arches
- Rooms with architectural or beamed ceilings, and beds manufactured by hand
Sant Francesc Hotel Singular (42 rooms and suites)
Take the opportunity to stay in a 19th century mansion in the heart of Palma’s old town. The hotel is both modern and elegant, but with a nod to its beginnings over 150 years ago when it was built in 1860. Guests can still see original features including beams, stone floors, wooden coffered ceilings, frescoes and murals. Rooms are bright with wooden beams, original frescoes (restored), and contemporary art.
- Extensive collection of original paintings
- One guest room is the old watchtower, and the Quadrat restaurant was once the old stables
- Rooftop terrace, pool and bar with views over Palma’s rooftops and the Cathedral
So, if you’re looking for a little inspiration for a luxury break on the island of Mallorca, perhaps one of the above hotels will suit you.
Gail Hewitt is Owner and Director of Corona Holidays. Corona Holidays are specialists in tailor-made holidays to the Canary Islands, Balearic Islands, and European city breaks.